Sometimes western chorus frogs appear at our doorstep. We try to be very careful walking into and out of the house.

Sometimes western chorus frogs appear at our doorstep. We try to be very careful walking into and out of the house.

In the morning when I wake up I always seem to open my eyes to a different scene out in my back yard. The amount of fog looming over the wetland paints a different picture each day. I really enjoy waking up to such a natural and beautiful view and it makes me so thankful that I am allowed to live on refuge property for the entirety of my internship. To make things clear, I don’t live on the refuge site where people are allowed to take in the wonders of nature. That would be a little strange wouldn’t it? Instead I live on a disconnected piece of land that is about 5 minutes away driving. On this property there is a maintenance building, the two story house I live in, an old barn and out in the back there is the gorgeous wetland I was telling you about.


Mornings usually start off foggy. There are some days where I can’t even see the wetland! Sunny days are mostly what I experience though.

This week has been a little hectic and I have not had much time to explore in order to take in the wildlife at either the refuge or at the bunkhouse. Luckily for me my hosts (the flora and fauna) are kind and they find ways to keep me in awe. This past Sunday I saw something that I found so silly and incredible. I was washing a few of my dishes as I listened to the commotion the wind was making outside. Washing dishes at the bunkhouse can be a very soothing task since there is a nice big window in front of the sink that faces the wetland. As I am standing there rinsing a bowl I see a bird hovering in the sky about a quarter of a mile away. I didn’t think much of it, I was a little preoccupied with cleaning. I returned to the sink from clearing the counter top and I look out to find the bird was still there! Ok bird now you have my attention. I ran up to my room to get my handy binoculars, sprinted back down the stairs and made my way outside so that I could get a better view of this mysterious hovering bird. By the way that it was soaring I could have sworn it was a turkey vulture. It made a circle in the air and I discovered I was wrong, the shape was all wrong for it to be a vulture. Hmm what could it be? The sun then hit the bird at the right angle and I was able to see its red tail. Aha! Got you.

I found this red tailed hawk so amusing because it appeared to be enjoying this windy day.  For a few minutes the hawk was just hovering in the air, it wasn’t moving in any direction. The red tailed hawk looked like it was indoor skydiving! I laughed, it just looked too funny. The hawk then got out of this in place flight and circled down towards the ground. At this point it had flown so close to me I saw it extend its feet down so it could land. I gave out one last chuckle and went back inside. Ahh the perks of living on a wildlife refuge.


This isn’t the red-tailed hawk I based my story on, its an American kestrel! I was jumping into my car one day when I saw this guy bobbing its little tail on top of that tree. I then realized that a pair was nesting on a box attached to the neighboring barn house! I need to start opening my eyes more or else who knows what I’ll miss.

%d bloggers like this: