After my week-long training in Denver, I returned to Monte Vista. This week was a pretty tough week. We ran into some obstacles that were unexpected. Monday was an office day, doing my travel authorization and voucher as well as conference calls. On Tuesday one of my co-workers had a medical issue, and Wednesday was a day of dealing with shovels, wenches, trailers, and extra four-wheelers. We originally were out at McIntyre/Simpson breaking up beaver dams to get ditches ready for water, but at around 10:00 a.m. we ran into mud, literally. The Rhino, which is a UTV, got stuck in four feet of soft mud, making it very difficult to move. My co-workers and I spent all day trying to get the machine out of the mud, and at about 3:30 p.m. we had to seek reinforcements. We ran back to the office, and picked up another ATV that had a heavy duty wench to help pull out the UTV. At around 5:30 p.m. we were finally able to get the Rhino unstuck, and had to continue on with our duties of breaking beaver dams. On our way back to the office from the field, the vehicle I was using to pull the four-wheeler trailer suddenly came to a complete stop, and I discovered that my rear passenger tire was completely flat. So Portland and I stopped and assessed the situation, and were back on the road after about 45 minutes. Thursday was supposed to consist of rain gauge data collection and irrigation, but those plans changed as well. The Riparian crew blew a bead on the tire of the tractor, which was being used to dig holes for exclosures to keep trespass cattle away from the riparian corridor. Eddie and I spent all afternoon trying to put the bead back on the tire. At 5:30 p.m. we called it a day, and left the tractor at the site waiting until the next day to fix the tire.  Man, what a WEEK!!!!!!!!!7_1_16_Blog

Categories: Uncategorized

%d bloggers like this: